One essential marketing tool that every internet marketer should have is a mailing list. This is a database or visitors who have signed up via your website to receive emails from you. The mailing list is created by adding an opt-in form on your website. The great thing about an opt-in list is that once you have it, you can use it over and over again, and these are people who are already interested in your niche.
There are some very important do’s and don’ts when it comes to building an opt-in list.
Do’s When Building an Opt-In List:
1. Add a subscription form on your website in a visible spot where visitors can see it. If you do not know how to create a subscription form, there are several software programs available that you can use.
2. Ask your visitor if they would like to subscribe to your opt-in list.
3. Show your visitors how easy it is to subscribe. They need to know this, believe it or not. “Just provide your name and email address, and you will receive a link for your free download.”
4. Be honest. Let your visitors know what benefits they will receive by subscribing to your list. A free report, a free e-book or newsletter – let them know exactly why they should subscribe.
5. Deliver what you promise.
6. Opt-out option. Allow visitors to opt-out of your subscription list. Make this clearly visible.
7. Take advantage of an auto responder. It will make your life easier when sending out emails to your list of subscribers.
8. Thank your subscribers for joining.
Don’ts When Building an Opt-In List:
1. Purchase lists for your subscription list. Many times these are people who have no interest in what you have to offer, and they eventually end up opting-out.
2. Abuse your list by sending tons of emails. This is the quickest way to get people to unsubscribe to your list.
3. Send junk mail. Again, people only want valuable information and will unsubscribe if you send them junk.
4. Add everyone to your list who has ever emailed you. The truth is that not everyone will want your products or services, so do not annoy them with unwanted emails.
Creating an opt-in list can be an asset to your online business. When you send your subscribers useful information, you are building not only trust, but making a name for yourself. Once your subscribers have gained your trust, you can be assured that you are marketing your products or services to a group of people who are at least interested. That is not to say that everyone will automatically buy from you. However, you will have a targeted list that you can market to.
Another great benefit of an opt-in list is that you can use it when approaching potential joint venture partners. Normally, JV partners want you to bring something to the table, particularly if you are just starting out. A long list of subscribers who are interested in your niche will can be a great leveraging tool.
In fact, it takes some time to build a successful opt-in list, but it is something that will prove valuable in your online business, so get started building your list today.
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!